My new sit-on-the-couch device
The Chuwi Hi8 is a very nice 8 inch display dual-boot Windows 10 and Android 4.4 tablet.
This is an Intel Atom based tablet and its performance is sort of mid-range for a 2016 Android device and low-end for a Windows 10 device. Its been on the market for some time and there is a newer Hi8 Pro which has some extra features so the Hi8 can be bought for a very good price these days.
There are a number of reviews around so I wont say too much about features and performance…
- For the price it is surprisingly well made and fun to use,
- The display is fantastic but reflective. It comes fitted with a screen protector which is a good thing because the glass will scratch if you are not careful.
- In common with most cheap tablets the sound from the speaker is very poor (but sound using headphones is very good).
- Its HD display is very nice for watching youtube and netflix, performance is not a problem.
- Battery life is ok for 3-4hrs of use.
- You will need a 16Gb or larger SD card if you want to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest fixes (I recommend you buy a Class-10 32 or 64 GB SD card).
- You will run out of storage space in Android and Windows if you don’t fit an SD card.
- If you want to store many apps under Android you will have to root it.